The Pitt Meadows Lions was Chartered on May 7, 1951, after an organization meeting held April 5, 1951, with 18 charter members present and the sponsorship of Maple Ridge Lions.
The first club meeting was held at the Wild Duck Inn and the club has used the facilities of the Council Chambers, the Recreational Hall, homes of various members, the Old Anderson Store, and the old Pitt Meadows Elementary School. In 1956, at the instigation of Lion Davie Jones, a society was incorporated and the current Den site on Harris Road was prepared and building materials purchased and also obtained from the stripping of the old school house. The Den was usable to 1958, primarily with self help of club members. In 1975 the Den underwent extensive expansion and in 1998 was again renovated. In 2022 we added wifi capability to aid in providing hybrid meetings. The Lions Den is not only the focal point for Lions’ activities, it is also a great source of community service in itself to various non-profit groups.
The Pitt Meadows Lions have raised well over half a million dollars over 15 years to 2007. Every dollar that has been raised went back into the community or to our other provincial, national, and international commitments.
Some beneficiaries in the past:
- The Ridge Meadows Hospital
- The Disabled Lift in the Recreation Hall
- The Old Pitt Meadows Library
- The Search and Rescue
- Local Law Enforcement
- The Cenotaph
- The Fun Park
- Pitt Meadows Fire Department
- Scholarship at the High school
- Hot dog day at local elementary schools
- Eagles in the City
and these are just a few.